In order to benefit and protect the public and the forest resources, no person in either public or private capacity shall practice or offer to practice forestry, unless he shall first have submitted evidence that he is qualified so to practice and shall be registered by the board or unless he is specifically exempted from registration under this chapter. It is unlawful for any person to practice or offer to practice forestry in this state, as defined by this chapter, or to use in connection with his name or otherwise assume, use or advertise any title or description tending to convey the impression that he is a forester, unless the person has been duly registered or is exempt from registration under this chapter. This chapter shall not be construed to prevent or to affect:
- The conduct of business and support services including: tree planting, timber stand improvement, pesticide application, pest control, site preparation, heavy equipment operation, prescribed fire application, timber buying, logging contracting, timber cruising, timber marking and the application of best management practices.
- The application of forestry principles and procedures on any timberlands, woodlands or forest in which the person, firm, partnership or corporation owns the timberlands, woodlands or forest; or persons, firms, partnerships and corporations having the right to manage and administer forestlands in any legal manner.
- The work of an employee or a subordinate of any forester holding a license under this chapter; if that work is done under the direction, supervision and responsibility of a person holding a license under this chapter.
- The practice of forestry by officers and employees of the United States government on federally-owned lands.
- The practice of forestry by officers and employees of the State of Mississippi on state-owned lands.
- Employees of the federal government, state government and educational institutions of the State of Mississippi who, in the exercise of their assigned duties, conduct forestry education programs.
- Persons who hold valid licenses prior to July 1, 1989.